What is New Voices: Detroit?
Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit is launching the next iteration of its New Voices: Detroit juried competition. New Voices: Detroit 2021 gives young artists in Detroit, Highland Park and Hamtramck the opportunity to see their one-act plays and choral compositions brought to life.
Young playwrights and choral composers engage with adult coaches in the industry to further develop and polish their original pieces, watching them transform with industry professional directors and conductors and performed by members of the internationally acclaimed Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit Ensemble.
Artists breathe beauty into the world through their creativity as they respond to what moves and inspires them. With New Voices: Detroit, these aspiring storytellers have access to pivotal mentoring and professional experience early in their development.
Inspired to create?
Youth who live or attend school in Detroit, Highland Park or Hamtramck are invited to submit an original short play or choral composition for Mosaic’s winter competition. Five original plays and choral works, written by high school students, will be chosen to be produced by Mosaic and performed at the virtual New Voices: Detroit Winter Festival on February 28, 2021.
The finalists will each be assigned a professional mentor/coach who will assist the young dramatists and composers with revising their work of art. Each finalist will receive a $500 award and have their piece performed on the virtual stage.
To be eligible, each participant must:
- Be a resident or student in Detroit, Hamtramck or Highland Park.
- Be a high school student.
- Be sponsored by a teacher, coach, counselor, or teaching artist (or similar reference) who is willing to serve as the liaison between Mosaic and the youth applicant.
- Submit an application form with original work. Guardian, sponsor and student signatures are required.
- Finalists must be willing to work with an assigned professional theatre/composition mentor to review and refine their original work. Young artists who cannot commit to revising their work will not be able to participate.