Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit is launching its inaugural New Voices: Detroit juried competition. New Voices: Detroit 2020 gives young artists in Detroit, Highland Park and Hamtramck the opportunity to see their one-act plays brought to life.
Young playwrights engage with adult coaches in the industry to further develop and polish their original pieces, watching them transform with industry professional directors and performed by the internationally renowned Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit Ensemble.
Artists breathe beauty into the world through their creativity as they respond to what moves or inspires them. With New Voices: Detroit, these aspiring storytellers have access to pivotal mentoring and experience early in their development.
Inspired to create?
Youth who live or attend school in Detroit, Highland Park or Hamtramck are invited to submit a one-act play Mosaic’s inaugural annual juried competition. Five original one-act plays, written by high school students, will be chosen to be produced by Mosaic and performed at the virtual New Voices: Detroit Festival in the of Fall 2020.
The finalists will each be assigned a professional mentor/coach who will assist the young dramatist with revising their work of art. Each finalist will receive a $500 award and have their piece performed in production.
To be eligible, each participant must:
- Be a resident or student in Detroit, Hamtramck or Highland Park.
- Be a high school student.
- Be sponsored by a teacher, coach, counselor, teaching artist (or similar reference) willing to serve as the liaison between Mosaic and the youth applicant.
- Submit an application form with original work. Parent, sponsor and student signatures are required.
- Finalists must be willing to work with an assigned professional theatre mentor to review their original work. Young artists who cannot commit to revising their work will not be able to participate.